IAS UPSC 2017 Topper Nandini KR (Rank 1), Sucess Story
- Name: Nandini KR
- Mother’s Name: Vimala KV
- Father’s Name: Ramesh KV
- Gender: Female
- Rank: 1st
- IAS UPSC Marks: 1120/2025
- IAS UPSC Percentile: 55.31
- Location: Kembodi Village, Kolar, Karnataka, India
- Category: OBC
- Religion: Hinduism
- School: Chinmaya Singh School, Kolar, Karnataka (Class 10th) and Alva’s PU College, Moodbidri, Karnataka (Class 12th)
- Class 12th Percentage: 94.83%
- Class 10th Percentage: 96.80%
- College: MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- Educational Qualification: B.Tech (Branch- Civil Engineering)
- College Marks: 9.82 Pointer
An officer of the Indian Revenue Service (IRS) and present undergoing trainee at the National Academy of Customs, Excise, and Narcotics in Faridabad; Nandini KR from Karnataka’s Kembodi Village made her family proud by securing the All India Rank 1 in the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) IAS 2017 Exam on 31st May.
The Civil Services Examination (CSE) is a nationwide competitive examination in India conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment to various Civil Services of the Government of India, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Police Service (IPS) among others. It is conducted in two phases – a preliminary examination consisting of two objective-type papers (General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II also popularly known as Civil Service Aptitude Test or CSAT), and a main examination consisting of nine papers of conventional (essay) type, followed by a personality test (interview).
“It is like a dream come true. I always wanted to be an IAS officer,” Nandini said to PTI.
UPSC CSE Score Card of Nandini KR:
Nandini KR from Karnataka topped the prestigious nationwide competitive examination UPSC IAS 2017 for admission to various Civil Services of the Government of India by securing the marks 1120 out of 2025.
Here is her subject-wise scorecard:
|General Studies-I (Paper-II)||131|
|General Studies-II (Paper-III)||103|
|General Studies-III (Paper-IV)||116|
|General Studies-IV (Paper-V)||104|
|Optional-I (Lit. of Kannada Lang.) (Paper-VI)||164|
|Optional-II (Lit. of Kannada Lang.) (Paper-VII)||167|
UPSC IAS 2017 Toppers and Roll Number (Top 10):
|1||0134810||NANDINI K R|
|2||0561724||ANMOL SHER SINGH BEDI|
|6||0032405||KOTHAMASU DINESH KUMAR|
|9||0384935||SUMAN SOURAV MOHANTY|
|10||0000823||BILAL MOHI UD DIN BHAT|
Nandini KR’s Biography:
- Real Name: Nandini KR
- Profession: Indian Revenue Service (Officer)
Physical Stats & More:
» in Centimeters- 163 cms
» in Meters- 1.63 meters
» in Feet- 5’4”
» in Kilograms- 53 kgs
i» n Pounds- 117 lbs
- Eye Color: Black
- Hair Color: Black
- Date of Birth: September 15, 1990
- Age: 27 Years
- Birth Place: Kembodi Village, Kolar, Karnataka, India
» Chinmaya Singh School, Kolar, Karnataka
» Alva’s PU College, Moodbidri, Karnataka
- Educational Qualification: Engineering Graduate
» Father: Ramesh KV (School Teacher)
» Mother: Vimala KV (House Wife)
» Brother: Thorun Patel
- Religion: Hinduism
About Nandini’s Coaching Institute:
Nandini took his UPSC CSE coaching classes from Vajiram and Ravi Institute, New Delhi, India.
M/S Vajiram & Ravi is India’s well-known Institute preparing candidates for the Civil Services Examination at all the three levels – Preliminary Test, Main Examination, and Personality Test. The Institute was founded in 1976 by Professor P. Velayutham who had to his credit numerous academic distinctions from India and abroad, including a diploma on International Law, awarded by the International Court of Justice, The Hague.
- Address: 9-B, Bada Bazaar Marg, Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi 110060
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.vajiramandravi.com/
- Contact Numbers: (011) 25820000, (011) 25734058
What Nandini KR Told PTI:
- » It is like a dream come true. I always wanted to be an IAS officer.
- » I put in a lot of effort. After getting selected in the IRS in 2014, I had taken the exam again in 2015 but could not crack it. I took the test again and topped it. It is a wonderful experience.
- » During my engineering studies, I used to commute by bus from Kolar to Bangalore. This was the age of germination of a lot of ideas in me.
- » Without proper guidance and preparation, I took the exam in 2013. I missed prelims cutoff by near margin. I was not disheartened but realized that if I prepared well with proper guidance, my dream would be easily realizable.
- » I started my second attempt preparation with the reading of basic books, NCERTS, newspaper. With respect to my Optional Subject (Kannada Literature) preparation, I understood the needs of CSE; tuned my strategies accordingly. Thanks to my passion for Kannada Literature, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. This helped me develop strong command over my optional subject.
- » After every test, I used to check answers and read answer key in detail. Solutions given by Insights were detailed and helped me understand a topic in –depth. More importantly, research on the allied topics (through links provided in test solutions) helped me a lot (being inquisitive in learning pays one day).
- » As I was a lone traveler my mother stood as study partner in all 4 years. She was the one who trained me for literature in this attempt. In fact, I used to get very anxious at times due to the uncertainty that exam offers (usually 1 week before prelims exam). She constantly boosted my confidence and instilled necessary personality traits in me by quoting poems she had read.
Nandini KR Media Coverage:
"Nandini KR, who topped the Union Public Service Commission 2016 exams on Wednesday, says she wants to join the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) to serve the people of India, rather become a diplomat.
Ms Nandini said her friends had been joking for a week that she would be a topper and should get ready to celebrate the occasion."
"Nandini K.R., a 26-year-old from a small village in Kolar district, has topped the civil services exams, the results of which were announced on Wednesday. A candidate from the State has bagged the first place in the prestigious exams after a gap of several years.
Ms. Nandini is an Indian Revenue Service (IRS) probationer, who is currently undergoing training at Faridabad in Haryana."
"Nandini KR of Karnataka’s Kolar who topped the Union Public Service Commission’s civil services examination for 2016, is a civil engineering graduate from MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology in Bangalore.
“This is a very happy moment for me, I have realised my dream,” Nandini told news agency ANI.
In her last attempt, she had made the grade for the Indian Revenue Service (IRS)."
"Nandini KR, a trainee Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer, topped the Civil Services Examination 2016 the result of which was announced on Wednesday.
This is the third time in a row a woman has topped the prestigious exam. In 2014, Andhra Pradesh’s Ira Singhal had topped the exam and in 2015 the first position went to Tina Dabbi of Delhi.
Nandini is from Karnataka’s Kolar district and is presently undergoing training for IRS at the National Academy of Customs, Excise and Narcotics in Faridabad."