GATE 2018 (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an entrance examination controlled and maintained by the Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati (IIT, Guwahati) for the candidates seeking their career in the engineering and technology fields in India.
Every year IIT, Guwahati conducts the GATE examination for providing candidates to take admissions in Post Graduate (M.Tech) and Doctorate (Ph.D.) courses in all IITs, IISc, IISERs and other reputed institutions of the country India based on their GATE score.
Apart from this, the GATE exam score is also considered as one of the criteria for recruitment to various Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) like AAI, BHEL, BARC, etc.
List of Participating PSUs in GATE 2018 Examination:
Here are the participating PSUs in GATE 2018 examination:
- 1. Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (BPCL)
- 2. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL)
- 3. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL)
- 4. National Hydroelectric Power Corporation Ltd. (NHPCL)
- 5. Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. (PGCIL)
- 6. Mazagon Dock Ltd. (MDL)
- 7. Gujarat State Electricity Corporation Ltd. (GSECL)
- 8. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- 9. Central Electronics Ltd. (CEL)
- 10. Coal India Ltd. (CIL)
- 11. National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd. (NTPCL)
- 12. Punjab State Power Corporation Ltd (PSPCL)
- 13. THDC Ltd. (THDCL)
- 14. Odisha Power Generation Corporation (OPGC)
- 15. Ircon International Ltd. (IIL)
- 16. Bharat Broadband Network Limited (BBNL)
- 17. Bank Note Paper Mill India Pvt. Ltd. (BNPMIPL)
- 18. National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)
- 19. Airport Authority of India (AAI)
- 20. Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)
- 21. Bihar State Power Holding Company Limited (BSPHCL)
- 22. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
GATE 2018 Examination Important Dates:
|Release of GATE 2018 Notification||September 1, 2017|
|GATE 2018 application form submission (last date)||October 5, 2017|
|GATE 2018 application form correction (change in exam city)||November 17, 2017|
|GATE 2018 admit card/hall ticket||January 5, 2018|
|GATE 2018 exam||February 3 & 4 & 10 & 11, 2018|
(First shift: 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon)
|GATE 2018 results announcement||March 17, 2018|
|GATE 2018 counselling||one week after the result declaration|
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern:
|Courses offered||M.Tech. and PhD Programme|
|Question paper type||Objective (includes 65 questions with four choices each)|
|Subjects||General Aptitude & Subjects based on branch in Engineering|
|Mode of exam||Online (CBT)|
|Marking scheme||1 or 2 marks (for each correct answer) & 1/3 negative mark (for question containing 1 mark) & 2/3 negative mark (for question containing 2 marks) & no negative marks for numerical type questions|
GATE 2018 Paper Wise Exam Pattern:
Exam Pattern For All Papers Except GG, XE, XL:
- • 25 questions of 1 mark each.
- • 30 questions of 2 marks each.
- • 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper GG:
- • Part A – 25 questions of 1 mark each. This part is common for all candidates.
- • Part B – 30 questions of 2 marks each. This part has two sections, section-1 is of Geology and section-2 is of Geophysics.
- • 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper XE:
- • Section A – Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory Section) – Total 11 questions will be asked. 7 questions of 1 mark each and 4 questions of 2 marks each. It is common to all candidates.
- • Any two of XE sections from B to H – 22 questions. 9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks.
- • 10 questions from GA.
Exam Pattern For Paper XL:
- • Section P – Chemistry (compulsory section) – It contains total 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- • Any two of XL sections Q to U – Total 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark each and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- • 10 questions from GA.
GATE 2018 Syllabus:
GATE 2018 is held for total 23 papers (for various engineering branches). An individual candidate can appear in only one of the 23 papers. General Aptitude (GA) section is common in all papers which contain total 150 questions of maximum 15 marks (5 questions of 1 mark and 5 questions of 2 marks). The detailed syllabus for each of the papers can be found easily by visiting the official page for GATE 2018 syllabi here.
GATE 2018 Eligibility Criteria:
- Age Limit: Candidate’s minimum age should be at least 21 years and there is no upper age limit is required for GATE Exam.
- Attempts allowed: No limit on the number of attempts for anyone. However, GATE score card is valid only for 3 years.
The qualification criteria for GATE 2018 is as follows:
|Qualification Required||Description about the Qualifying Degree||Status of the Degree||Year of Passing|
|B.E./B.Tech/B.Pharm||4-years B.Tech (after 10+2) in any stream or 3-years B.Tech lateral entry (after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology). Final year candidates may also apply.||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|B.Sc. Research/B.S.||4-years Bachelor’s degree in Science (post-diploma or after 10+2)||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|B.Arch||5-years bachelor’s degree in Architecture||Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|M. Sc./M.A./MCA or|
|Master’s degree in Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or completed||2018|
|Int. M.E/M.Tech |
|4-years Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology||Presently in 2nd/3rd/4th year or completed||2010|
|Int. M.E./M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||5-years Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology||Currently in 4th/5th year or completed||2019|
|Int. M.Sc/Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five years integrated|
B. S./M. S. program
|Pursuing final year examination or completed||2018|
|Professional Society Examination equivalent to B.Tech/B.E./B.Arch||B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional|
GATE 2018 Application Form:
GATE 2018 Application Form will be available from 1st September 2017. The last date to submit the application will 5th October 2017. IIT Guwahati will re-open the application form correction window for the candidates on 9th November 2017. The application form can be filled by online mode only.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of GATE 2018, http://appsgate.iitg.ac.in/
- Step 2: Click on “Register Here” button and create a new account with a valid email address and phone number.
- Step 3: After the submission, note down your GOAPS Enrollment ID and GOAPS Password.
- Step 4: In the next screen fill down the complete details correctly and upload your passport size photograph and signature.
- Step 4: Make payment for application form fee and print the confirmation page.
GATE 2018 Application Fee:
|Women Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|SC/ST/PwD Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|All Other Candidates||Rs. 1500/-|
|GATE International Candidates||US Dollars 50|
GATE 2018 Form Correction:
Minor modifications will be permitted in the GATE 2018 application form. GATE Corrections/Modifications will be granted in the following fields:
- Name of Candidate
- Name of Parent/Guardian
- Status from Gen to OBC and OBC to General
- Have you graduated with the above degree?
- Year of Qualifying Degree
GATE 2018 Admit Cards/ Hall ticket:
All the candidates who have registered for GATE 2018 examination need to download the admit card to appear in the examination. Admit cards for GATE 2018 exam will be available from January 5, 2018, at the official website. Here are the steps you need to follow to download your GATE 2018 admit card:
- Step 1: Visit the official website and go to the section Admit Cards.
- Step 2: Enter your GOAPS Enrolment ID, GOAPS Password and captcha code correctly.
- Step 3: Click on submit and take a print out of your admit card for reference in future.
GATE 2018 Counseling:
IIT Guwahati has decided to complete the GATE 2018 counseling in three rounds. Here’s procedure of GATE first round counseling is mentioned below:
- Online Registration: Visit the official website and go to the section Counselling. Then login with the GOAPS Enrolment ID, GOAPS Password to your account.
- Choice Filling & Locking: Now choose the engineering/technology college as per your choice and list them. After the final edit lock all your choices.
- Counseling Result Declaration: All the candidates will receive their result of their allotted course and college through their registered SMS and Email after counseling ends.
- Reporting to Allotted College: After the counseling ends, all the candidates need to visit their allotted colleges and need to pay the fee to take admissions. In case, any candidate fails to report the college, then the seat will be given to the next candidate.